Tuesday 24 April 2018

6 weeks Roaccutane (Accutane/Isotretinoin) free

Thought I would do a little update for you now it has been about 6 weeks since finishing my Roaccutane. This seems to be the agreed amount of time that the drug takes to clear from the body (although some of the side effects can last much longer, all of it has been metabolised and cleared now).

Skin dryness
Dryness has almost completely gone. My lips were back to normal by week 2 and any dry patches of skin from using products that were too strong have now completely gone. My skin is still combination.

Skin reactivity
The ferocity to which my skin reacts to products seems much reduced. My tolerance to retinols and acids has definitely increased.
I have not noticed and increase chance of burning from the sun, however I am being VERY careful - hat, sunglasses and SPF 50.

Joints
Knee pain has almost completely gone. I was lucky to never suffer from back pain but did have a significant amount of neck and shoulder pain and this reduced a lot, especially between weeks 4 and 6. My foot and ankle pain/ache is the only thing that is remaining but that has also reduced significantly.

Spots
I got my first spot around 4 weeks after being off Roaccutane. Turns out I was also due on my period! This came and went within a few days. Panic over. The issue with Roaccutane now is that people are put on it for much less severe acne than they were 10 years ago. If you have full face, severe, cystic acne, then an improvement for you will be much different to someone who gets 5 or 6 spots a month.
Because the 5-6 spots a month group are now being put on Roaccutane, the expectations for an "acne cure" are much higher, but this is not the reality. You will still get spots however they should be less frequent and less severe. 


The pictures below are me now. No make up. No filter (as always).

As those who work in hospital or in a dental surgery will know, there is no more honest, or less flattering light, than what they use in a dental surgery or hospital. I thought this would be a good light to show you my skin because you will see it, warts (/scars) and all. 


My skin care routine

AM


  1.       Non foaming cleanser (I used antibacterial, anti acne, anti anything good for the skin    cleansers for years until a dermatologist told me this is the worst thing you can do!) I use Cereve hydrating cleanser, or cetaphil. Both super cheap from Boots
  2.       Hyaluronic acid serum – I use the one from - The Ordinary hyaluronic acid and B5 serum  
  3.       La roche posay effaclar duo plus – this has salicylic acid, niacinamide and benzoyl        peroxide which are the 3 best acne and pigment fighting ingredients
  4.       Skinoren 20% azelaic acid cream - just around my chin and lips where I have comedones and pigmentation
  5.       Oil free moisturiser – this is key. I have a post on my blog about my faves and I tend to rotate between them. I mix this with the ordinary 100% L ascorbic acid powder (which is pure vitamin c). This will work on the marks left behind by the spots, it also acts as a bit of a skin protector from UV
  6.       SPF in summer (if you spend any amount of time outdoors or in the car in daylight you will need this year round, I spend most my time in a basement of a hospital with no natural daylight). I’m trying a few new ones out at the moment and will be doing a blog post soon


PM:
1    
    1.        Cereve cleanser with my Foreo Luna mini
    2.        AHA/BHA toner (unless I am about to follow with a stronger retinol) 
    3.        Niacinamide serum (I love The Ordinary 10% niacinamide and zinc serum )
    4.        Oil free moisturiser if I am using a higher strength retinol to buffer
    5.        Retinol. I have a post on my blog (the “wait that line wasn’t there yesterday) with my       favourites. I had to drop down the The Ordinary Granactive retinoid 2% due to my skin    reactivity but am now up to 0.5% retinol in Neostrata Retinol NAG


No comments:

Post a Comment